If you’ve recently purchased a new phone or computer, you might be wondering how to set up an email account on your new gadget.
Having your email account accessible on multiple devices offers several advantages. It provides convenience and flexibility, allowing you to access and manage your emails wherever you are, whether it’s on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. This ensures you stay connected and have the ability to respond to important messages. Having email on different devices also serves as a backup in case one device malfunctions or is unavailable. It ensures you don’t miss out on important communications. Lastly, using multiple devices can enhance productivity by allowing you to manage emails efficiently, organize folders, and synchronize data across devices, enabling seamless workflow management.
Find the step-by-step instructions you need to get your emails rolling again on a Mac, PC, Apple or Android device below.
How to Set Up an Email Account on an Android Device
- Go to the “Apps” icon on your Android device.
- Find the Email icon and double-click it.
- If you have an existing email account set up, you’ll see your inbox for that account.
- Click the “hamburger menu” (the three horizontal lines) in the upper left-hand corner of your screen.
- 5. A panel will pop up like in the screenshot below. Click the “gear” icon in the upper right-hand corner of that panel.
- 6. Clicking the gear symbol will open up the email settings for your Android device. Right below your existing email account (or on its own, if you haven’t set up an email account on your device yet) you’ll see an option to “Add account.”
- Click the green plus sign next to “Add account.”
- Enter your new email address and the password in the next window.
- Next you’ll be asked whether you want to set up a “POP3 account” or an “IMAP account.” Choose whichever option your email account provider recommends in their instructions for how to set up your email account.
- Fill out the “Server Settings” page according to the instructions from your email account provider.
- Click “Next” in the lower right-hand corner of your screen after you’ve completed the server settings.
- You should see a message that your email account is now set up. To finalize the setup, name your new account (so you can easily identify it if you manage multiple email accounts from the same device). Then add your name. What you enter in the second field (in the screenshot below) will be the “from” name people will see when you send them an email.
- Once you click “Done” in the bottom right-hand corner, you’ll be brought to the inbox of your newly-set up email account. If you had any emails in your account, they’ll populate into your inbox. You should now be able to send and receive emails from your added email address.
How to Set Up an Email Account for Apple Devices (iPhones or iPads)
1. Go to the “Settings” icon on your iPhone. Scroll down through the options until you find the option “Passwords & Accounts.” Click on it.
2. In the next screen, click “Add Account.”
3. Next you’ll be shown a screen with all the major email providers. If you see the company you created your email address with, select that option. If you don’t see the company where you created your email address, click “Other.”
Here’s what the fields will look like (without the blurring we’ve added for privacy) when they are filled out.
6. After you’ve entered the information and clicked “Next” in the upper right-hand corner of your device’s screen, you’ll be brought to a screen like the one below. Choose IMAP or POP3 on this screen.
7. We’re using a POP (aka POP3) setup for this example. Here’s what the POP3 server setting look like (without the blurring) once they’ve been filled out. Again – check with the company where you originally created your email address for the specific settings you’ll need for this page.
Click “Save” in the upper right-hand corner of the screen once you’ve added the settings for your email account.
8. You will now be able to see your newly-added email account, and send and receive emails. To see your new account, click on the “Email” icon on your phone. It looks like this:
Then select “Mailboxes.” You should see your newly-set up email address in the list of mailboxes, like this:
You can also see your email account in your Settings > Password & Accounts screen.
1. Launch Mac Mail and go to the “Add Account…” option in the “Mail” pull-down menu.
4. In the next screen, you’ll be asked to enter the settings for your email account’s server settings. You can get this information from the company/service where you created your email address.
5. Finally, choose the Apple apps you want to use with your newly-set up email account.
6. Once you’ve clicked “Done,” your new email account is set up. You can access it by scrolling down through the left pane (the one that has “Smart Mailboxes” in it in the screenshot above). Your email account will be at the bottom of that left pane.
How to Set Up an Email Account on a PC Using Windows 10
1. Launch the Mail App in Windows 10.
2. Go to “Settings” > “Accounts.”
3. Click “Add Account.”
5. If you’re setting up a Gmail address, Google will send a verification code to either your mobile device or to your primary Gmail inbox. Add the verification code from that message to the next screen.
6. Click “Accept” on the next screen, and you’re done. Your Gmail address will be added to Windows 10, and you’ll be able to send and receive email messages for your Gmail email account from within the Windows 10 Mail app.