The 2017 holiday shopping season promises to be a profitable one for e-commerce retailers. Overall, e-commerce sales are projected to grow by 18 to 21 percent. But along with the good news, there's some not-so-good news: The world of e-commerce is more competitive than ever. How can you stand out from the crowd and get more shoppers to your e-commerce site? Try these tips.
1. Include holiday-related search terms. Do some keyword research to determine what keywords shoppers use when they search for gifts during the holidays. For example, using plenty of keywords such as “best gifts for kids,” "good gift for teacher" or “gifts under $25" can help drive online searchers to your website.
There are several types of keywords you’ll want to incorporate, including:
Don't wait until the middle of November — start building these terms into your website content and tags now. A search engine optimization expert can find and use the best, most relevant keywords and help your site rank better for these key search terms. Best of all, they can take the time and effort of online marketing off your hands so you have more time to focus on making and fulfilling sales.
2. Update your product listings and descriptions. The more detail you can include about each product, the better. Focus your efforts first on products that are likely to be popular gifts this holiday season. Add keywords related to the holidays in these products' descriptions or tags. See if you can add more photos or even videos of products if you don't already have them.
3. Create specific landing pages. Make sure that links in your ads or other content go to the appropriate landing page and that each landing page has a strong call to action. When a consumer who is ready to buy clicks on your ad, you want to take them to the right product—not slow them down by sending them to the homepage and making them search for what they want.
4. Invest in online advertising. Pay-per-click advertising can really pay off during the holiday shopping season. It's affordable and easy to change and update your campaigns based on what works best. If you don't have the time or know-how to manage a PPC campaign yourself, consider hiring PPC experts to do it for you.
5. Make sure your website is mobile-friendly. The majority of Internet searches now begin on a mobile device, so you'd better be ready! Make it easy for customers to both browse and buy from your site on their smartphones. If your site needs some changes to bring it up to speed, now's the time to get help from website design experts.