Are You Making These 5 Common Lead Follow-up Mistakes?Rieva Lesonsky
Your online advertising has paid off and you're getting lots of new leads. Congratulations! Now, make sure you handle those leads the right way. To boost your chances of turning precious leads into customers, avoid these five common lead follow-up mistakes.
- Not answering the phone: Does your business rely on prospects to call you? Then answering phones on the first or second ring should be second nature to your staff. Use your phone system’s call forwarding options to ensure that calls always go to salespeople’s mobile phones when they’re away from their desks. When a lead does call, employees should have a standardized method for capturing key information and relaying it to the appropriate salesperson. If you use Lead Stream, you won't have to worry about missing a call: The app notifies you right away whenever a new lead comes in.
- Not responding to leads quickly: Whether a new lead comes in through your business website, your phone, or email, rapid response is vital to winning the business. Of course, if you don't know that a lead came in, it's easy for it to fall through the cracks — and for your competition to get the business instead. Fortunately, Lead Stream uses push notifications to alert you of every lead, so whether you're at your computer or out of the office, you never miss an opportunity to close new business.
- Not prioritizing leads: Lead Stream makes it easy to organize leads so you can prioritize them appropriately. The app also allows you to rate your leads so you and your team can focus on those that are the most promising. You'll even get reminders to rate your leads when you're using the mobile app, so as soon you finish a text exchange or phone call, you can rate the lead while the interaction is still fresh in your mind. You can also take detailed notes about each lead so you don't forget important information later on.
- Not following up after your initial contact with a lead: Starting off strong with an initial follow-up and then dropping the ball when you get too busy is a common lead follow-up mistake. There's really no excuse for this one, however — not when Lead Stream allows you to easily automate ongoing email follow-up with leads. Lead Stream offers a variety of professional email marketing campaign templates you can use to keep in touch with leads, send special offers and more, no matter how busy you are.
- Not measuring the results of your campaigns: The number of leads that your business generates from a marketing campaign isn't the sole measure of its success. You also need to measure how many of those leads move further along the sales funnel — for example, by redeeming your email offers or making an appointment for a consultation. Lead Stream not only measures the clicks and calls that generate new leads, but also tracks email engagement metrics, offer redemption and lead conversion. Plus, it continually learns from your lead ratings and campaign results to deliver better and better leads over time.
Making anyone of the common lead follow-up mistakes above can drastically reduce your businesses' chances of closing the sale. With Lead Stream, you won't have to worry about missing those opportunities to win the business.
Rieva Lesonsky is CEO of GrowBiz Media, a media and custom content company focusing on small business and entrepreneurship.