Secrets of Lead Nurture Emails That Get ResultsRieva Lesonsky
The majority of your leads likely aren't ready to buy — which is where lead nurturing comes in. Even for leads that are ready to buy, nurturing the lead via online marketing can have a big payoff for your business.
Consider this: nurtured leads make 47% larger purchases than non-nurtured leads. What’s more, nurturing leads helps to develop a lasting relationship that hopefully leads to customer loyalty—and even more purchases down the road.
Online marketing with lead nurture emails
Emails are a key tool for nurturing leads until they become customers. But are your lead nurture emails actually getting results?
Few things are more frustrating than responding to a lead with what seems to be the perfectly crafted email, only to be met with the sound of crickets. If leads aren't responding to your emails, what can you do to change things? Here are five secrets to successful lead nurture emails.
Boost online marketing success with these 5 tips
- Respond rapidly. The speed with which you reach out to a lead can make all the difference in nurturing the relationship and, ultimately, making the sale. But if you're like most busy small business owners, you're doing four different things at any given moment, so it's easy to miss a new lead. You can ensure a speedy response by using lead generation software that notifies you immediately when you get a new lead, and automates responses to leads so you can reply to prospects quickly no matter what else you’re doing. (And be sure you’re not making these common lead management mistakes.)
- Make sure your emails are mobile-friendly. Whether you sell B2B or B2C, your prospects expect your emails to look as good on mobile devices as they do on a desktop or laptop. Some 83% of mobile users say that a seamless experience across all devices is very important. There's a good chance your prospect will be opening that email on a smartphone, and if they can't easily read your response or click on a link to take action then and there, they may not interact with you further.
- Follow email best practices. The last thing you want is for your lead nurture email to be perceived as annoying spam. To prevent that, be sure to follow a few basic best practices for email. First, identify the source of the email by including your business name in the "From" field. Second, use the subject line to clearly show that you are responding to the prospects' request. Third, always provide a way for recipients to unsubscribe to emails from your business. Learn more about email best practices and compliance with the CAN-SPAM Act.
- Offer something of value. Are your lead nurture emails focused on all the great things your business can do? That's the wrong approach. Focus on offering something of value to the lead, whether that's information, a consultation, a discount or a limited-time package. Never miss an opportunity to add value. For example, if you’re emailing a link to download an e-book the lead signed up for, include another offer in that email as well. Leads will appreciate your helpfulness in educating them to make the best purchasing decision.
- Personalize your emails. Making your emails relevant to the prospect means more than just addressing the prospect by name (although that's important, too). Create different types of lead nurturing emails for different kinds of prospects. For example, if you provide home services, you could create one type of email for homeowners and another for landlords with rental properties. You can also personalize emails based on the prospect’s stage in the buying journey, such as whether they are close to making a decision or have just begun to research the purchase. Finally, you can develop different emails based on what marketing method persuaded the prospect to contact you. Lead management software can help you segment your leads, identify the best nurture emails to send them, and automate the process of sending the emails. Look for a lead management tool that includes a library of email templates you can choose from to save time and help ensure success.