In June 2023, Google Domain users started seeking alternative registrars to move their domains to as a result of Squarespace’s acquisition.
If you’re one of those affected by this change, Web.com is a registrar to consider – offering a hassle-free domain transfer experience.
Web.com is known for its popular website builder, various hosting options, and responsive customer support, which helps provide businesses a strong online foundation.
This guide will take you through the steps on how to transfer your domain name from Google Domains to Web.com. It covers the benefits and potential challenges you need to know about when transferring your domain.
What is a domain transfer?
A domain transfer is the process of moving a domain name from one domain registrar (the company who manages a domain) to another. When you transfer a domain, you’re essentially changing the company that’s responsible for managing your domain name.
There are several reasons why you might consider transferring your domain:
- Better services. It could be a good reason to switch if you find another domain provider that offers better customer support, more features, or improved domain management tools.
- Cost-effectiveness. Moving to a new provider may save you money on domain registration fees or offer you more competitive pricing.
- Business expansion. If your business is expanding, you may transfer your domain to a domain provider that matches your new plans or accommodate your growing online presence.
- Rebranding. When your business rebrands or changes its name, you might consider transferring your domain to match the new brand identity.
- Consolidation. You could transfer your domain to have all your domains managed by a single registrar.
Domain transfer vs Domain change of ownership
One common misconception that people often encounter is confusing a domain transfer with a change of ownership.
A domain transfer involves moving a domain from one domain registrar to another while keeping the ownership details the same. The purpose is usually to switch to a different domain provider for various reasons, such as better services, pricing, or management tools. But the domain stays under the same person or business.
On the other hand, a change of ownership refers to transferring the legal ownership of a domain from one person or business to another. This typically occurs when the current owner sells or transfers their domain to a new owner, often involving a change in contact and administrative information.
High level overview of the domain transfer process
Towards the end of this article, you will find a step-by-step process for transferring your domain from Google Domains to Web.com.
Here’s a quick overview of what you need to do to get your domain ready for transfer:
- Ensure your domain is eligible for transfer. Not all domains are eligible for transfer, so it’s essential to check if your domain meets the requirements for a transfer. Generally, the domain must be at least 60 days old and not locked or under any dispute.
- Unlock your domain and disable privacy settings
- Back up website data and files
Transferring your domain from Google Domains to Web.com
Part 1: Preparing for the transfer
Preparing your domain name for a transfer is easy. Just follow the steps below:
1. Start by signing into your Google Domains account.
2. Look for the domain you’ll transfer and click the “Manage” button.
3. Click the menu at top left and look for the registration settings.
4. Within these settings, make sure to disable the domain lock.
5. On the right of “Transfer out,” click “Get authorization code.”
6. Select “To a different domain registrar.”
7. Copy the AUTH code (Google Domains may also email it to you)
Unlocking and obtaining the authorization code of your domain are key to a successful transfer.
Part 2: Begin the Transfer with Web.com
1. Go to the Web.com Domain Transfer page.
2. In the blank field, type in your domain name, and then click CONTINUE.
Step 3: In the checkout page, you have the option to add additional years of registration. Once done, click CONTINUE TO CHECKOUT.
4. Confirm your account information, then click SUBMIT PAYMENT.
5. Refer back to the authorization code that you copied earlier, or check for the authorization emails from Google Domains.
6. Log in to your Web.com Account Manager, and then enter your authorization code. This will initiate the transfer process between your Google Domains and Web.com.
Managing the transition period
In most cases, you won’t need to do anything after a domain transfer. But you may need to do the following:
Update name servers and DNS settings, if necessary
Updating name servers and DNS settings isn’t a one-way street. You’ll have to consider the scenarios listed below prior making changes:
- Hosting is elsewhere: If your website and email hosting services is from another company, two scenarios are possible:
- Using Google name servers: Since the name servers will no longer work after the transfer, you need to update it with what works, either Web.com’s name servers or your hosting providers’ name server.
- Not using Google name servers: You don’t need to update the name servers or DNS settings for this case.
- Switching to Web.com’s services: In cases where you’re switching to Web.com’s services, you need to configure the DNS settings to point to the correct hosting IP addresses.
- Adding additional services: For this case, you won’t need to update the current DNS settings. What you’ll do is add a new one.
Head over to our help section if you want to learn more about updating your DNS settings with Web.com.
Test all services connected to the domain name
To ensure that everything works perfectly, test everything. From website speed, links, and media – images, videos, and the like. Also remember to test if your work emails work to make sure you can still send and receive.
From powerful web hosting to managed digital marketing services, Web.com crafts an all-inclusive suite tailored to your aspirations. Unleash the potential of your online presence with Web.com’s expertise and cutting-edge AI technology.
Switch to Web.com today!
With your domain securely transferred to Web.com, you will unlock a number of opportunities to enhance your online presence. With Web.com, you will love our dependable hosting, expert customer support, and advanced digital marketing features. Web.com can help amplify your website through Pay-Per-Click (PPC) advertising and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies.
Join the ranks of thriving businesses and entrepreneurs who’ve chosen Web.com!